As a stay-home mom who works freelance, I thrive on frugal living and home made solutions.
It isn’t always easy to be frugal, but it can be a lot of fun.
Especially when the kids are involved.
Here they are, trying on my miracle cure for tired eyes.
Recently, in my attempt to eliminate spending on toiletries, I found a great recipe for facial wash – cucumber milk face cleanser. It’s easy to make, quick to apply, cheap and free of all the ugly, unnatural stuff that goes into commercial cleansers. I will never buy facial cleanser again!
CUCUMBER MILK FACE CLEANSER
1. Peel a cucumber.
2. Blend it with 1/2 cup milk.
3. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
4. Strain the mixture and allow to cool.
5. Soak a cotton ball into the mixture, clean your face, rinse with water.
6. Store the remainder in the fridge, use within a week.
Cold cucumber milk on the face is non-drying and wonderfully rejuvenating. Try it!
The only thing about switching to a natural, home made cleanser like this is having to change my routine a little. Just 2 things:
1. Prepare the cleanser every Sunday evening. The mixture simmers as I wash the dinner dishes, so I feel there’s so little effort and hardly any time spent on making it.
2. Keep cotton balls and a hair band in the kitchen so I can clean my face there in the mornings and evenings. It took me 2 days to get used to eliminating this ritual from the bathroom. Now it goes happily like clockwork.
As always, children get into every part of my world.
Case in point: Have a look at what I found in our kitchen one morning.
Yes, that’s my hairband. And yes, that’s a mango.
I love this life.